Wednesday, September 5, 2012

a big move, a new farmer

This post is bitter-sweet, but both necessary and exciting!
 
Earlier this spring, I announced to the school that this will be my last season at TCS as farm manager. It is with a very heavy heart that I made this decision. This community has been incredible and I truly feel that I have grown, learned, and gained some very strong friendships within the short time that I have been in Tamworth.
As many of you know, Pat was unable to find work here, despite an 8 month stint of unemployed searching. He did, however, find a fantastic job in Rutland, VT. He moved to Rutland last November and I will be relocating there late this fall. (It is with a very full and delighted heart that I made this decision!). 

Wanting for the smoothest transition possible, we started interviewing in August for the new farmer. I had the pleasure of being a part of this process. I'll spare you the details of the process itself and announce that we have hired someone!
John Welton hails from Madison, WI and is currently farming in Freedom Maine at the Village Farm with his girlfriend, Emma. They will be moving to the TCS farm this winter and are excited to jump right in. I have been talking with John a lot about the ins and outs of the farm, trying to get him up to speed and make his first season (and beyond) a great one! I am hoping to organize a 'meet the farmer' gathering in the coming months so that the CSA members, and members of the TCS community will get a chance to meet John + Emma and welcome them into this great place. As the season draws to a close, I will keep everyone up to date on a gathering.
Thank you all for your wonderful support. Tamworth will always be our (Pat + my) first home together and we are already planning future trips back!

No comments:

Post a Comment