Tuesday, June 19, 2012

the heat is coming!

Although there is a great breeze today, and the mornings have been cool + cloudy, NOAA says we're about to turn up the heat!


So, this week's recipe calls for drinking those greens, not cooking them!

I LOVE green smoothies, kale, spinach, bok choy, even mustard greens all make their ways into the blender at some point in the summer. Last week at market, even, I asked our smoothie vendor to throw in some of the mustard I nabbed from our display! (I wouldn't recommend starting with mustard if you are a first-timer, though, something lighter like the choy or the kale is best).
I also feel that yogurt is essential, along with fruit, to sweeten things up a bit (apple juice, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, you name it!). If you are really needing sweet, add cocoa powder or maple syrup, too.

Here are a few sources for green smoothies. And if your freezer isn't stocked with last year's berries, I know Harold at the Tamworth Farmer's Market has some frozen fall raspberries!

Smoothie Handbook gives you a complete low-down on how-to's and what-to's!
RealSimple offers up bananas and apple juice
The Holy Kale adds almond butter - yummo!
and, finally, Whole Foods suggests double fisting those greens... 

So, give it a shot, let me know what you think, what you change, and if you need more kale!


No comments:

Post a Comment